The rice chicken meets between the favorite plates of the Cuban. To give the yellow coloration the achiote is used instead of the saffron.
- 1 big chicken cut in 8 pieces
- 1 teaspoonful of dry oregano
- 1 teaspoonful of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoonful of white pepper
- 1 teaspoonful of red wine vinegar
- chicken broth
- 2 teaspoonful of oil with achiote (colouring)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1small red peppers chopped
- 3 chopped cloves of garlic
- 1 small tomato chopped
- 3 cups of water
- 1 glass of dry white wine
- 1 1/2 beer glasses
- 1/2 teaspoonful achiote or 1/4 teaspoonful of saffron
- 1 teaspoonful of tomato paste
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pounds of rice
- red chili cut into strips
- 1 can of peas
1. To wash well the chicken and to dry with a towel of paper.
2. To add the oregano, cumin, white pepper and the vinegar and to mix everything in a bowl. To allow that it should rest during 15 minutes.
3. To warm the oil in a pan and to gild the chicken. To put the chicken in a plate and to remove the excess of fat, guarding 2 teaspoonfuls.
4. The onion, the chili sautés in the pan pepper and the garlic until they remain soft, but without gilding, approximately 2 minutes. The chopped tomato is added and is cooked during one more minute. One throws the chicken in the pan together with the slightly fried one and is left cooking during 2 minutes approximately.
5. One adds the water, the wine, the beer, the pasta of tomato, the achiote, the salt and the pepper. When it starts boiling the fire stoops, wraps up itself and is left to cook to slow fire during 30 minutes approximately.
6. The rice is added and all good is removed, wraps up itself and is cooked to slow fire during 20 ó 25 minutes.
7. To serve it makes up with the red chili into strips and the peas.