Rice with chicken is among the favorite dishes of Cubans. To give the yellow coloration, annatto is used instead of saffron.
- 1 large chicken cut into 8 pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon of red wine vinegar
- chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons of oil with achiote (coloring)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1aji small morrón picado
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 small chopped tomato
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup of dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups beer
- 1/2 teaspoon achiote or 1/4 teaspoon saffron or bean
- 1 teaspoon of tomato paste
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pounds of rice
- pound of Valencian rice or arborio aji morron cut into strips
- 1 can of peas
1. Wash the chicken thoroughly and dry with a paper towel.
2. Add the oregano, cumin, white pepper and vinegar and mix everything in a bowl. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
3. Heat the oil in a saucepan and brown the chicken. Put the chicken on a plate and remove the excess fat, saving 2 teaspoons.
4. Sauté the onion, red pepper and garlic in a saucepan until soft, but not browned, about 2 minutes. Add the chopped tomato and cook for another minute. Put the chicken in the saucepan with the sauce and let it cook for about 2 minutes.
5. Add water, wine, beer, tomato paste, achiote, salt and pepper. When it starts to boil, lower the heat, cover and let it simmer for about 30 minutes.
6. Add the rice and stir everything well, cover and cook on low heat for 20 or 25 minutes.
7. To serve, garnish with chili peppers in strips and peas.