Congrí rice is a mixture of beans and rice that is often used as accompaniment in many Cuban dishes. Depending on the region it has its variants.
- ½ kl rice
- ¼ kl black beans
- Strips of bacon or greaves
- ¼ onion
- Red pepper
- 6 cloves of garlic
- Half teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons of oil or 2 of lard
1. Soak the beans the night before.
2. Cook them in a pressure cooker for 15 minutes and store 3 cups of water if cooked.
3. Put the rice to cook in a pan.
4. In a pan prepare the sofrito with oil or lard, chopped onion, garlic, strips of pepper and bacon or pork rinds.
5. Add beans, 3 cups of water to cook, salt and cumin.
6. When it begins to boil, add the cooked rice and leave it on a medium heat until it softens.